PREPARE YOUR HOME

  • Buy a smoke detector (alarm) and put it close to the bedrooms in your home.
  • Test your smoke detector to be sure the battery works. Do this on the first day of each month.
  • Put a new battery in your smoke detector every year when Daylight Savings Time starts and ends (in April and October).
  • Plan how you and your family will get out of your home if there is a fire. Practice this plan with your family.

IN THE KITCHEN

  • Never leave the kitchen while food is cooking on the stove.
  • Don’t leave grease containers on or near the stove.
  • Keep potholders, dishrags and paper towels away from the stove.
  • Always check to be sure your stove, coffeepot or other appliances are turned OFF before your leave your home.

SMOKING

  • Never smoke in bed or while napping in a chair or sofa!
  • Always use an ashtray. Never lay a burning cigarette directly on a table, countertop or other surface.
  • Dip cigarette butts and matches in water before throwing them in the trash.
  • Before you leave a room, check your safa and chairs for cigarettes that may have been dropped.
  • Keep lighters and matches away from children.

HEATERS AND CANDLES

  • Keep space heaters and candles at least three feet away from curtains, beds, blankets and furniture, and other items that may catch fire.
  • Before you go to bed, check space heaters and extinguish candles.
  • Snuff out candles any time you leave a room.
  • Never burn candles while sleeping.
  • Never let children use or play with heaters, candles or anything that burns.
  • Make sure children keep their toys and clothes far away from heaters or anything that gets hot.

OTHER DANGERS AROUND THE HOME

  • Don’t plug too many things into one electrical outlet.
  • Don’t put extension cords under rugs or carpets.
  • Liquids like gasoline, kerosene or paint thinner are dangerous because they catch fire quickly.
    • Don’t store any liquid items like that near where you live.
    • Keep liquids that can catch fire only in approved metal containers.
    • Don’t store liquids that can catch fire in glass or plastic containers.